“…all I want to do, is to get back to you…”
Jagger & Richards
I am a multi-media, multi-disciplined visual and word artist. I stole that from Laurie Anderson.
I don’t start my art by saying, “Hey let’s try to express this or that emotion.” There’s nothing brainy about it. It just comes to me and through me, just like a dream might come to you at night, uninvited but there it is. And it’s emotional.
In “American Art Collectors” magazine gallerist James Balestrieri wrote this about Andy’s work at an exhibition in Brooklyn, “Pushing Matisse’s cut-out figures, pulling them back to figures suggestive of cave painting, the human form assumed, once again, a pure biological joy buried beneath layers of culture.”
Andy’s work has been featured in exhibitions in galleries and cultural centers including the Essex Art Center in Lawrence, Massachusetts; the Provincetown Center for the Arts and Museum in Provincetown, Massachusetts; the Pagus Gallery in Norristown, Pennsylvania; the Cattaraugus Arts Center in Allegany, New York; the Siena Art Institute in Siena, Italy; “Two Artists/Two Days” at the Ira B.Gordon Center for the Arts in Waltham, MA; “You Are The Judge/You Are The Jury” in Brooklyn, New York; “The Perfect Ten” exhibit at the LOOK|Art Gallery in Mahopac, NY; Urban Art Center in Chicago, IL; “You Make Me Dreamy” exhibit at the Tointon Art Center, Greeley, CO; Studio Place Arts, Barre, VY; and “Triple Threat: Paintings, Poems & Sculptures”, Brickbottom Gallery, Somerville, MA; “Pleople and Places”, The Gallery At Wren, Bethlehem, NH.
His writing and artwork have been published in The Tequila Poetry Review, Boston Arts Journal, The Grub Street Rag and The Drum Magazine. His work has been highlighted in American Art Collectors Magazine, The Artful Vagabond (online) and Artsyshark (online). Andy studied at Boston College (BA), Plymouth State University (MBA) and at the University of Oregon (MFA) . . . and, less formally, with Ken Kesey!
Thoughts About Exhibitions
I try to get my art out in the world. Paintings, like any art form, are best experienced in person, without the filter of a photograph or website. I hope you get to see art live, any art — dance, theater, concert, poetry slam, gallery – up close and intimate.
“And I seem to find the happiness I seek
When we’re out together dancing, cheek to cheek”
My paintings are in private collections and have been featured in exhibitions in galleries and cultural centers:
- Essex Art Center – Lawrence, MA
- Provincetown Center for the Arts and Museum – Provincetown, MA
- Pagus Gallery – Norristown, PA
- Cattaraugus Arts Center – Allegheny, NY
- Siena Art Institute – Siena, Italy
- “Two Artists/Two Days” – Ira Gordon Center for the Arts – Waltham, MA
- “You are the Judge/You are the Jury” – Brooklyn, NY
- “The Perfect Ten” exhibit at the LOOK | Art Gallery – Mahopac, NY
- Urban Art Center – Chicago, IL
- Tointon Art Center – Greeley, CO
- Studio Place Arts – Barre, VT
- “Triple Threat: Paintings, Poems & Sculptures” – Brickbottom Studios Gallery – Somerville, MA
- “People and Places” – The Gallery At Wren, Bethlehem, NH
writings and press
My poems, fiction, essays, and artwork have been published in:
- The Tequila Review
- Boston Arts Journal
- The Grub Street Rag
- The Drum Magazine
- American Art Collectors Magazine
- The Artful Vagabond (online)
- Artsyshark (online)
Meg the Wonder Dog!